Phase 5 (July 2001 – February 2002)
A seven-lift scaffold with a temporary tin roof over the tower allowed access to remove the 16th century roof tiles and oak rafters. All original materials were replaced in their exact location, but strengthened by hidden oak overlays. A replica cupola was installed to replace this original feature, which was lost some time after it was shown on the lithograph of 1784. Dendrochronology of the timber dated it to 1560. All the stonework has been chased out in the joints and repointed with lime mortar.